After experiencing what has been described as a “nightmare move” when he was younger, sixteen-year-old Chuck Kuhn started JK Moving & Storage in the basement of his parent’s home in 1982. He got his driver’s license and his first moving truck and said to himself, “We can make a difference in this industry.”
And quite a difference he has made! Within five years, Chuck expanded the company’s business by gaining interstate authority to conduct long-distance moves. In the 90s, the company moved to our current headquarters in Sterling, VA, and established both our Commercial Division and sister company CapRelo, a relocation management company to manage outsourced employee relocation programs for the federal government and private enterprises. In 2004, JK enlarged its base of operations by purchasing Thomas AAA Movers and establishing our Gaithersburg, MD office.
January 2006 proved to be the start of an eventful year for JK Moving, gaining national attention when our Loudoun warehouse played host to President George W. Bush for a Town Hall Meeting to discuss the economy.
JK Moving committed to growth
The company has continued to grow every year, becoming the largest independently owned moving and storage company in the country and making its mark by continuing to innovate within the industry, such as:
- building a fully furnished two-story training house in our warehouse training center.
- installing dashcams in every fleet vehicle to ensure the safety of our customers’ belongings and our crews.
- establishing extensive sustainability programs across the company saving millions of pounds of materials from local landfills.
- Provide our teams with tablets linked to our operating system to create a paperless process.
- partnering with Yembo, an AI-supported technology that allows customers to survey their homes virtually.
- increasing the average Over-the-Road Class-A CDL driver annual guaranteed income to $100k.
A culture of care and respect
Forty years ago, Chuck Kuhn set out to build a moving company that gave every customer a stress-free experience, no matter where or what they were moving and to treat each person, customer, and employee, with care and respect.
JK Moving has followed through on this brand promise, offering generous benefits to its employees, including:
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance
- Paid time off
- Profit sharing and safe harbor 401(k)
- Global employee wellness programs and
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Medical and dependent care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)
- Health Savings Account (HSA) with employer-matching contribution
- Tuition reimbursement and loan repayment assistance
Last week, JK hosted a company picnic at our Sterling, Virginia headquarters to celebrate our 40th anniversary and thank our employees for their hard work in helping the company reach this milestone. Employees and their families enjoyed a fun-filled evening with food trucks offering everything from tacos to barbecue to ice cream, music, door prizes, and activities for the whole family, including a tug-of-war competition, moon bounces, face painting, and a dunk tank!
Check out some photos of our employees and their families celebrating this milestone below: